Thursday, April 14, 2011

L is for Larsson

Stieg Larsson was a Swedish journalist who wrote what has become known as the Millennium Trilogy before he died.   The three books that make up this bestselling trilogy are The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest and all three of these books are ideal for any bookworm you know.

The first book in the series is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and in this book we meet the main characters who are going to take us on quite an adventure.

This book is quite hard to get into and my dad actually gave up trying to read it.  I had actually been told that it took a little getting into, but was worth it so I persevered for a few chapters and the result - definitely worth while!

I think the problem is getting used to the Swedish names, once you've got used to them though the book is really good and I recommend it.   I should also mention that since I've finished the whole trilogy, my mum has finished the trilogy and my brother has just started the third book my dad has decided to 'give it another go' and he now appears to be quite hooked on it.   In fact it's hard to get him to put the book up except to ask questions which we refuse to answer (why ruin the ending for him?)

In essence it's like two books in one - a decades old dead case of a missing girl and also the mystery of super hacker - Lisbeth Salander.

The book finishes and then leads straight into the next book (or at least my copy did) which means that - of course - you then have to reach for the second book.   My advice is to buy them all before you start reading so that you have them on hand.

The second book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy is The Girl Who Played With Fire.   A couple of my friends have stated that this was the best of the three books, I'm not so sure as I'm torn between this book and the last one.   One thing is for certain this book is a lot better than the first one (which was good after it got going).

In this book Salander is accused of murder and journalist Mikael Blomkvist is determined to prove her innocence, along the way we hear about Salander's life.

I don't want to ruin things by saying too much so I'll leave you with this - I literally could not put this second book down it gripped me from the beginning to the end.

Where the book ends the third in the trilogy quickly picks up.   As I have said some of my friends said that the second book was the best and they were a little disappointed in the third book, but I have to disagree with them.

In The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest all of the loose ends are tidied up and it really does conclude the whole series.

At the end of The Girl Who Played With Fire Salander was severely injured and in The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest she has to fight to recover as well as prove her innocence and who better to help her with that than friends from previous books such as Mikael Blomkvist, Dragan Armansky and the team from Millennium magazine.


2 comments:

  1. The Dragon Tatoo is in my pile of "to read" books. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting books. I haven't read any of them, yet.

    ReplyDelete